[AZ-Observing] Re: Observing on Tonto National Forest - proposed travel management plan

  • From: "Chris Hanrahan" <chris.hanrahan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 20:11:14 -0700

Ken,
Great info...thanks.  Seeing your report made me think about SAC's observing
site (Frederickson's Meadow) in the Coconino National Forest.  Their Travel
Management Plan/Rule restricts dispersed camping and cross-country motorized
travel in certain areas.  According to a map entitled "Travel Management
Rule - Coconino National Forest  Record of Decision," the portion of FR 229
adjacent to Fredrickson's Meadow is now classified as a "Road open to all
vehicles, yearlong" and an area designated for motorized dispersed camping
[us] "Out to 300 feet either side of road centerline."  A quick review of
aerial photography shows that we typically fall within these parameters, so
we shouldn't have any issues with the Forest Service.
For those who utilize other areas of the Coconino National Forest, like
Karen and I do, you might want to review the following information:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/landmanagement/projects/?cid=stelprdb
5263010

Clear skies,
Chris Hanrahan