[AZ-Observing] Observing near Salt Lake City

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "az-observing@fre" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:12:32 -0400

Howdy all;

I had a fine night last night with the Salt Lake City Astronomy Club.
Their observatory is at the edge of the light dome, somewhat like Buckeye
is now.  There was some Milky Way and not a cloud in the sky.  There are
three scopes at this location:  an 8 inch refractor of f/12, a biggie; a
16 inch old Ealing Cassigrain that is a beautiful scope they got from Utah
University and a 32 inch f/12 that has a Naysmith focus.  All three
delivered very good images.

In the 32 inch we viewed several Messier globulars, a type of object for
which this scope is well suited.  The beautiful curved chains of stars in
either M 5 or M 3 were excellent, many hundreds of stars resolved.  M 104
and NGC 4565 both showed lots of detail along their dark lanes.  I also
had a short list of planetary nebulae and we knocked those off in half an
hour or so.  There were 5 club members and myself viewing.

I really enjoyed the big refractor, it is almost 100 years old and the
views are excellent.  The Double-Double in Lyra was very well presented
with a 21 mm Stratus eyepiece, four beautiful blue-white stars in two
pairs.  Just as it should be.

I will provide some more details later, it was a fun night and tonight I
am the speaker at the Salt Lake A.S.

Then I am on to Northern California next week to get to the Golden State
Star Party near Mt. Lassen.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe