[AZ-Observing] C/2009 R1 (McNaught) - 15 JUNE 2010

  • From: Jeremy Perez <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 05:56:01 -0700

Tom, your images have been inspiring.

I really enjoyed the view of the comet this morning with my 8 inch
Dob, 15 x 70 binoculars, and naked eye. Through the telescope, the
ion tail stretched about 45 arc minutes at PA 305 degrees. The dust
tail also appeared as a westward smearing of the coma at a PA of
about 270 degrees. The coma itself was a cool turquoise color that
contrasted beautifully with an orange 8th magnitude star just to its
north. I didn't detect a distinct pseudo-nucleus, just a smooth rise
in brightness toward the core.

The ion and dust tails showed up through binoculars as well. By
comparing to two nearby stars of similar magnitude I estimated its
magnitude at 5.7.

It was visible to the naked eye, appearing as another faint star in
Perseus.

Telescope and naked eye sketches can be found here:

http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/images/2010/
img2010061501_C2009R1.jpg

http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/images/2010/
img2010061502_C2009R1_NE.jpg