[AZ-Observing] Re: Observing Tonight (Friday)? Vekol 90% chance I'm going.

  • From: Joe Larkin <joeclarkin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 07:52:06 -0700 (PDT)

I went and it was good.

After all the bad weather it is hard to believe that I was out at
Vekol almost alone.

There was a group of Boy Scouts out camping and trying to see things
with a small scope. The scope was on some type of goto mount, but it
wasn't working well. So I showed them some deep sky stuff and Mars
when it got high enough.

In my current sleep deprived state, I can't remember the name of the
adult who is a member of EVAC.

Skies were near perfect. I saw some not so bright galaxies in Draco
that I haven't seen before (NGCs 5949, 6015, 6340, 6412). I also
looked at a lot of showpiece objects (m13, m57, m27, m8, m16, m11,
m31, m32, m110, m33, the veil nebula, saturn nebula, NGC 40,  and
more) as well as my favorite objects in Corona Australis. The CorA
objects are interesting and not well known. In one wide field there
is a very bright globular, a double nebula, and another small nebula
that looks like a comet aiming at the other nebula (NGCs 6723 6726/27
6729).

Mars was good, but I didn't put in enough time to really see great
detail. Deimos was visible but Phobos wasn't well situated when I
observed.

I observed with my new/old (new main and secondary mirror/rest of
scope built before 1988) 10" dob. The new optics (protostar ULS
quartz secondary and thin Discovery plate f4.5 primary) performed
well.

Joe Larkin