[AZ-Observing] Re: Observed 50 comets in my life--so far

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:08:17 -0700

Paul;

Great stuff, I think everyone who has ever owned a telescope for some
period of time has a comet story.  I did not start as early as you, but
I have always been fascinated by the ghostly glow and long tails of
comets.

I missed Comet West.  You know I was a submarine sailor, so I went out
on patrol for 60 days and when we got back to Pearl Harbor a friend took
me out with his scope (I just had binoculars) and showed me a little
fuzzball in his 3 inch refractor.  Then there was the "you should have
been here last month".  Oh well.

I know that my Australian buddy has had several nice comets, it is time
for a big, bright beauty here in the northern sky.

We shall see;
Steve Coe