[AZ-Observing] Re: Observed 50 comets in my life--so far

  • From: L Knauth <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 13:56:52 +0000

Mine: Comet Myrkos 1957d.  This was a brilliant naked eye comet visible in the
west after sundown.  It was the first one I saw in my own telescope:  the 6"
f/8 reflector I still have (but don't use--and will give to any ATM one who
wants a rather unique old fashioned telescope. superb Edmund mirror).  It blew
me away. Showing something awesome through my telescope to astonished neighbors
and  passersby in 1957 Houston Texas was a thrill that has never gone away.
Naked eye Arend-Roland had appeared earlier in the year and had a tail
component that pointed at the sun as I recall.  Two naked eye comets in one
year (possibly some of the few since Halley in 1910).   Then there was Comet
West in 1975 which was like a searchlight shining up from the eastern horizon
from a hill on the west side of Pasadena CA at sunset right through the lights
of the LA Basin.  And then, of course, Hyakutake in 1996.  Watching that green
beauty go right overhead during during deep night through my 12.5" from Vekol
was amazing.  At high power, the nucleus seemed to be moving against the faint
background stars just a little slower than the minute hands of a clock.   And
it had that enormous naked eye tail stretching forever.  Wow.  I must say that
I even enjoy tracking down the faint fuzzy ones nowadays with my 25 inch.
Knowing what they are and what they represent allows you to wallow in profound
thoughts and chills for an interval---one of life's great treats.

Videmus Stellae et Cometa

Paul Knauth