[AZ-Observing] Re: OT: Four Peaks Webcam?

  • From: Gene A Lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 16:46:39 -0700

Greetings,
There is  a light dusting of snow visible up on the highest parts on
Four Peaks today, but only _above_ the ridgeline (that extends to the
north).
(There is a campground up on that ridge...)  Also, some snow is visible
on some of the other higher peaks towards Payson, esp. Mt. Ord.  Nothing
visible on the McDowells, quite normal.
I can see Four Peaks, Mt. Ord (Lookout Tower north of Sunflower), and
other points from my north-facing balcony.
I would have to say, this is a "normal amount of snow" on Four Peaks
(and the other peaks to the north), for an early winter storm. Yeah, I
know, ca. 2 feet up in Flagstaff -- that's about the same as the top of
Four Peaks, but farther north....
We had quite a bit of rain, all day yesterday, here in Fountain Hills,
and violent wind gusts last night.  But no apparent damage around town,
like in central PHX.  It only got down to about 40 deg F last night.

There used to be a live webcam from the top of the Fountain Hills town
hall, but it only showed a view of the fountain and lake, not Four
Peaks, and it is NOT on the web any more... :>((
There is a Phoenix Visibility web page with several local webcams and
views of the mountains surrounding PHX, including a view of the
Superstitions.
http://www.phoenixvis.net/
http://www.phoenixvis.net/somt1/index.html

According to this useful web page, listing most of the prominent
mountain peaks in Arizona:
http://ontarget.mesavarsity.org/Arizona%20On%20Target%20Peak%20List.pdf
...Brown's Peak, the highest (northernmost) of the "Four Peaks" range is
7,650 feet (2,332 meters) elevation.
The prominent ridgeline extending northward (noted above) from the Four
Peaks range is considerably lower in elevation, consequently does not
get visible snowfall remaining on it, unless there has been a "real"
winter storm....
(Oh, I am not about to attempt to drive up there to check that, FYI...
it is 4-wheelers territory, see the previous comments by Bill Woods on
this forum...)
Since I have lived in FH (about 17 years), there has been light snowfall
seen on the eastern McDowell foothills only 2-3 times, and NO SNOW in
FH, to my certain knowledge... (see Thompson Peak).
FYI, my house in FH (eastern McDowell foothills) is at 1,910 ft elevation.

Other prominent peaks visible around PHX:
Mt. Ord Lookout Tower (north of Sunflower) -- 7,726 ft -- (usually gets
visible snow on peak)
Superstition Mtns. (highest point) -- 5,024 ft
Red Mountain (seen from Mesa and the Beeline Highway) -- 2,829 ft
Thompson Peak (McDowell range east of Scottsdale, with Radio Towers) --
3,981 ft
Pass Mtn. (East side of Usery Pass, Superstitions) -- 3,311 ft
Usery Mtn. (Usery Pass Radio Towers) -- 2,511 ft
Camelback Mtn. -- 2,703 ft
Piestawa Peak -- 2,607 ft
Mummy Mtn. -- 2,259 ft
North Mtn. -- 2,103 ft
Shaw Butte (at Radio Towers) -- 2,148 ft
South Mtn. (at Radio Towers) -- 2,689 ft
Estrella Mtns. (SW of PHX) -- 3,566 ft
White Tank Mtns (West of PHX, at Radio Towers). --  3,839 ft

A useful comparison (to me) is that the overlook on the front range
(north face) on South Mtn. is approximately the same elevation as
downtown Tucson...
Also, the bottom of the Grand Canyon (Phantom Ranch) is the same
elevation as Phoenix...
The elevation of Flagstaff is given as ca. 7,000 ft.

Gene Lucas
(17250)