[AZ-Observing] Novice Question

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:30:16 -0700

I have a LXD75 10". The other telescope I have had for over 30 years was
at one time was portable and is the only experience I have with
transporting a telescope. However, it was made by a machinist friend,
and knowing how it was made never caused me any concern with the mirrors
(a Dall-Kirkham) going out of collimation during transport on dirt roads
laying on its side.

I know nothing about the commercially made telescopes and how well they
hold collimation with rough handling. Thursday I plan on driving 300
miles with it, 10 miles on a dirt road, about 1/4 of which is rough and
in many spots wash boardy. I will be transporting it in my van, but it
has stiff suspension. Can anyone tell me how concerned I should be about
the telescope being on its side during transport? I can stand it up in
the van, but it would be more trouble to tie up so it wouldn't fall
over. I know I can recollimate it once I get there, but I would like to
avoid it if possible since it would just be another thing I have to do.
Stan