[AZ-Observing] New CGEM mount on order from Starizona

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: SMTP <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bill Anderson <malachite@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 01:48:19 -0700

Howdy all;

Well, the universe supplied me with someone who bought my old 16 inch
Newtonian and I am going to use the money to buy a CGEM from Starizona
in Tucson. This will be my second CGEM and I had lots of fun with the
old one.

My long term plan is to image all the Barnard dark nebulae. I will
start easy and use wide angle lenses piggybacked on a Vixen ED 80. Once
I have shot some wide field images with the Canon T2i then I want to
move on to an 8 inch Celestron with a Hyperstar lens system and a one
shot color CCD camera. That will give 400mm focal length and obviously
lots more aperture.

I do love the alignment routine built into the CGEM, it always put me
right on the pole. I also found it easy to set up and use. All of the
equipment mentioned above will add up to less than 25 pounds or so and I
like the idea of never over stressing a mount when trying to take
images.

I have no doubt I will do some visual with both the ED 80 and the 8
inch SCT. I am looking forward to all of it. I am certain you will see
some observations with this set up, here and no Cloudy Nights web site.

I am going to pick up the mount at the big ASAE conference and show in
Tucson--next weekend!!

I just watched Animal House...so to quote that famous philosopher
"Flounder"...Oh boy, is this great.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe