[AZ-Observing] Re: Mt. Ord

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:45:26 -0500

Mount Ord is the 7000-foot peak that is visible from Phoenix about 15 degrees
of azimuth to the north of Four Peaks.  As Stan states, it is between Payson
and Mesa.  You can access it from the Beeline Highway.  North of Sunflower, the
highway continues to climb to a saddle that is at the astronomically familiar
elevation of 4565 feet.

A good dirt road leads all the way to the summit.  There are not many flat
areas to set up scopes, though, so I wonder where they were.

I don't think it would be a wise choice for an observing site.  After a lot of
driving on mountainous roads, you would be only 50 miles from downtown Phoenix
(closer than Picketpost Mountain), and north of the lights of the east Valley.
If you lived on the east side, you'd do better at gaining elevation and
distance from Phoenix by continuing east of Globe to Griffith Ranch.

http://www.eastvalleyastronomy.org/sp-alt.htm

Tom