[AZ-Observing] Re: Moon in M35

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:36:38 -0700

At 12:32 AM 3/15/02 -0700, Brian Skiff wrote:
>     Occultation guru Dave Dunham notes in recent messages that the Moon
>will be passing through M35 next Thursday night (21/22 March).  That night,
>or the night before is about optimal for a Messier Marathon if you
>actually want to try to see all 110.  At least on Thursday night it will be
>easy to find M35, though maybe not easy to actually see.

I think that night might be a little too early to see M30 in the morning
twilight.  Here's what I get for the elevation of M74 and M30 with the sun
12 degrees below the evening and morning horizons, respectively:

                       Altitude
Night              M74           M30

Mar. 21/22          15           3.5
Mar. 24/25          12             5
Mar. 28/29         8.5           6.5
Mar. 31/Apr. 1     5.5           8.5

Last year's marathon was held on Mar. 24/25.  I think M30 was at least as
difficult as M74 was, so the optimal night is probably a few days later.
Of course, this year that lands us right on the Full Moon.  Not only is the
moon up all night, it's also situated very near the Virgo cluster.

I just got news that one observer in the Huachuca Club saw 109 from Dave
Healy's place last night (Mar. 15/16).  It shows how large the observing
window for the Messier Marathon would have been if not for that pesky M30.

Tom

---

Tom Polakis
Tempe, AZ