[AZ-Observing] Meteor Colors

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:23:18 -0700

To All,

Happened to be outside at 00:45 Hours this morning looking out to the SSW
when a small, fast meteor streaked east to west in the area of Canis Minor.
It left a momentarily persistent trail and was gone. It would have normally
been rather unmemorable except the color, which was an a dark orange-red,
which was a first for me. The sky seemed clear (no perceptible smoke or
such) and was about 45 degrees above the horizon. I have seen plenty of
Green, blue, and white ones, exploding ones and even a "head on" one but
orange-red? Any thoughts?

Jimmy Ray