[AZ-Observing] Re: Mars This Morning

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:10:10 -0500

Thanks, Mike.

That would be awesome if it were the atmosphere, but in fact it's just an
artifact.created by trying to align a moving planet while recording the blue
channel at 8 frames per second.  The Barlow lens brings the focal length to
nearly 10 meters, which sounds great until you realize that's f/40 in a 10-inch
scope.  More aperture is required.

Tom