[AZ-Observing] Re: Mars This Morning

  • From: "Steven Dodder" <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:00:34 +0000

>From: "Tom Polakis" <polakis@xxxxxxx>

>Weather was interesting as well this morning.  The dewpoint was a sticky
>58F, and a small thunderstorm flashed lightning to the south.  The radar
>image put it directly over our Vekol site.  Hope the quasi-monsoon gets
>out of here soon.

The flash of lightning and rain cell you saw were actually right over Stone
Haven this morning.  It sent me scrambling, since although the dome roof is
in place, the clamshell isn't.  I had little choice than to bungy the Desert
Storm cover over the scope, (in the dome for polar alignment), and hope for
the best.  Thankfully, we only had 0.1" of rain and no real damage to the
scope or the dome.  Needless to say, I didn't get to see Mars or anything
else this morning.  :-/

Steve and Rosie Dodder
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman