[AZ-Observing] Lunar Eclipse Silver Anniversary Night

  • From: "Bernie Sanden" <bsanden@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:14:41 -0700

My wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at home last night,
saving the more expensive part of the celebration for this weekend.  Having an
anniversary on Oct 27th has taught me to accept the fact that the deciding game
of the World Series will periodically* occur during our romantic anniversary
night together...in other words, no TV or radio and I have no idea what the
score is.  Well, at least the score in the game.  She knows I've got that
particular priority straight.
On the other hand, before dinner last night, with shrimp cocktail appetizers
and some good wine, I motioned her out onto the back porch under surprisingly
clear skies and we watched at least half of the partial lunar eclipse phase and
20 minutes of the full phase.  This is one time I didn't have to convince her
to join me in an astronomical observation.  The view was stunning and just
added to the uniqueness of "our" night.  Of course, in usual romantic fashion,
I brought out the binoculars to enhance the stunning views, but somehow it
didn't manage to spoil the moment.  I did, however, stop myself from proceeding
to set up the 12.5" reflector and inviting the neighbors over for a view.

After dinner, we strolled outside again and noticed that the partial phase was
in progress but that a huge cloud front had all but obscured the view.  It
seemed fitting that we steal one last look to cap off the evening, and so we
waited patiently under the cloudy skies until a suckerhole aligned to allow the
half-bitten moon to shine through.

I haven't done the research yet, but unless a lunar eclipse graced the skies
during one of the nights the Boston Red Sox won the pennant back before 1919,
we figured last night was pretty darn unique for us, to be celebrating our 25th
on the same night the BoSox won a World Series title and the full moon was
obscured in shadow.  At least we experienced two out of the three.

Oh yeah, I've already checked...no lunar eclipse on our 50th.

- Bernie (in Gilbert)

*Since 1979, the final (deciding) game in the MLB World Series falling on Oct
27th have included four game 7s, one game 6, and two game 4s including last
night.  But who's counting?