[AZ-Observing] Re: Total Eclipse from Phoenix and Tempe

  • From: "Randy Peterson" <rgpeterson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:57:21 -0700

There were about 7 of us who set up scopes last night for the eclipse at the
Riparian Preserve in Gilbert.  We all had reservations about even showing up
because of the weather, but gave it a shot anyway.  We were smiled upon by
the cloud gods!

From Gilbert, the moon rose covered from clouds, but within 15 minutes it
ventured above them.  From the start of it entering the umbra until about 15
minutes after totality ended, we were treated to a cloudless sky.  I managed
to take some pictures with my digital camera through the eyepiece of my
scope.

I would estimate we had maybe 75-100 people show up to look through the
scopes.  Most were very inquisitive, and they went away with a better
understanding of a lunar eclipse than they came with.

About a half-hour after totality ended, the sky clouded up completely.  We
packed up and went our respective ways feeling pretty satisfied that for
ONCE, we were given a break in observing.

We've all had our turn at being clouded out for a much anticipated event,
guess it was the west valley's turn last night.  I hope the powers-that-be
aren't keeping track of whose turn it is for cloudy skies next time!

Randy Peterson