[AZ-Observing] Re: Lights off in downtown for Earth Hour ?? Reports from Fountain Hills and GRCO in Gilbert

  • From: "Keith Parizek" <keithparizek@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 07:04:47 -0700

Hi Gene-  My take on the Black out was the same as yours.  It was a bust.
The most intense light dome from Rio Verde is toward Fountain Hills, Mesa,
Tempe, Apache Junction although it is a low dome.  The Phoenix, Scottsdale,
Glendale, Peoria dome is  blocked by the McDowell mountains at low
elevation, but above these mountains the appearance is amazingly uniform in
brightness.  Boy, what a contrast  looking east.
Next time one of these dark nights is planned the orgainizers should hun t
up the guy who had everybody standing alongside the road on the Fourth of
July, 1976 singing God Bless America.  This tme we could all hold hands and
sing When the Lights Go on Again all over the world.
Regards
Keith Parizek