[AZ-Observing] Re: Last Night

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:01:57 -0700

Hey Stan, sounds like a fun night up in Dewey. Weather was beautiful
here in New River too. Even with my proximity to PHX, I can still get
SQM readings over 21 on a moonless night when the air is transparent and
sky glow from PHX doesn't scatter this way. Question for you ... I'm
thinking of taking the plunge into CCD imaging. Adding the weight of my
Canon DSL causes the drive to slip in some orientations, as the mount is
already borderline for my scope, a Takahashi FS-128 (aperture 128 mm, FL
1040 mm). I've read reviews on a lot of products, but I know it's
important to match the CCD to the scope. Wondering if you (or any other
list readers) might have any recommendations for a good entry-level CCD?
I expect I'll be doing mostly lunar and planetary, and not a heckuva lot
of deep sky imaging. Thanks!