[AZ-Observing] Re: LBT first Light

  • From: "Bob Christ" <bchrist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:55:07 -0700

My family and I took the Mt. Graham tour this past weekend and saw the LBT
with its second mirror installed - still sporting a protective blue material
on its surface.  The docent related we were the first tour group to go
through since the mirror was installed.  The LBT is certainly one impressive
mass of technology.

We also visited the submillimeter and VATT scopes situated close to the LBT
.... all exceptionally interesting.

In the evening I set up my scope at Discovery Park in Safford (tour staging
point) to take advantage of a sky darker than available from my backyard NNE
of Phoenix.  While doing so we "experienced" a nature lesson.  Rattlesnakes
are preparing for hibernation and they find the warmth of the cement
surfaces at Discovery Park to be most comforting.  We had several
confrontations and, in each case, deferred to the snakes.  The Discovery
Park folks said this is a normal occurrence for this time of year and that
no one had been bitten in their 10 year existence.  Comforting thought -
afterwards.

I most heartily recommend the tour.

Bob Christ
EVAC/SAC member