[AZ-Observing] Jupiter In Good Seeing Technical Details

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:11:48 -0500

Here's the technical data for the image of Jupiter.  I didn't do anything
different with this image.  All that matters is seeing conditions, which were
arcsecond or better in the back yard last night.  And I'll say it again --
stars were twinkling away last night, once again demonstrating how unrelated
visual scintillation is to seeing through the telescope.

Scope: 10" f/5.5 Newtonian with Spooner mirror and Schwar structure (the only
scope with those specs -- Pierre offered to refigure the mirror, but I
declined).  This is a Dob on a platform.  Tracking is fine, but I wouldn't
recommend this method of centering an object on a chip with a field of view
that's only a couple arcminutes on a side.  Better to use something with
slewing controls; unfortunately, my 11" SCT can't do what the Newtonian does
optically.

Camera: Imaging Source DMK series monochrome 640x480.  Shoots up to 60 fps, but
this produces severe 'onion ring' artifacts, so I shoot at 30 fps, which still
creates them subtly.  I use a manual Orion 5-position filter wheel, and
dichroic R, G, and B filters from Adirondack.  I shoot 1000 frames in each
color.  Anything longer than a couple minutes results in smear due to Jupiter's
rotation, so you have to align the three color channels on a central feature,
and live with removing the red and blue opposing limbs.

Tom