[AZ-Observing] Re: Jupiter Impact Mark

  • From: Jeremy Perez <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 04:53:16 -0700

Jupiter put on a great show tonight!

The impact feature is still hanging on and was readily visible
through my 8 inch Dob at 120X and 240X. The best part was seeing it
along with a beautiful shadow transit with Callisto hanging just
outside Jupiter's following limb. It also provided a nice contrast
for comparison of the two spots. Callisto's shadow was strikingly
black, while the impact scar appeared more as a soft feature that
seemed to take on the brownish color of the surrounding clouds. I
spent more time getting a feel for the impact site itself, and did
detect a horizontal elongation and slightly condensed appearance.

I had a couple moments of incredibly good seeing that showed up a
lighter patch north of the impact scar and corresponded well to the
position of a white spot in the area. I did not detect this as a hard
oval, just as a subtle brightening in the area. Midway through my
observation, high clouds moved in and foiled my attempts to finish up
detail on the preceding edge before it rotated out of view, so the
equatorial belts are a little plain in that part of the sketch. I
finished the observation just as Callisto was dipping into Jupiter's
profile. What a great view!

Sketch and report can be found here:
http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/001338.html

Jeremy