[AZ-Observing] Image Posting, and Saturn Imaged Through New 15"

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 12:00:06 -0400

Tim Jones kindly created a Freelists forum for posting astroimages, but I hope
that doesn't mean that's the end of such posts on AZ-Observing.  Perhaps the
way to cut down on the message count would be to reduce what Mike Collins
called congratulatory replies communicated to the list, such as, "nice image!"
Astroimagers who frequently post their results might combine several of them
into a single post to the list.  Just some thoughts, since there are no rules
on AZ-Observing.

This list, aptly named "AZ-Observing", was established to discuss observing in
Arizona.  It seems like topics should range from observing sites to
semi-professional work such as spectroscopy to pretty pictures.

So here's a pretty picture of Saturn that I took last Thursday.  One year ago,
I sold my 18" Obsession Ultra-Compact to downsize to a  Dob built by Rob Teeter
with a mirror figured by Carl Zambuto.  The first-light view of Saturn last
Tuesday demonstrated how much mirror smoothness affects planetary contrast.
Two days later, the scope was up on the equatorial platform. I used an
effective 3x Barlow that gives roughly 5100mm of focal length at f/13, and an
image scale of 0.13 arcsec/pixel.  The data is three 1000-frame videos in R, G,
and B, keeping the best 50%.

http://www.pbase.com/image/156122201

Tom