[AZ-Observing] Re: ISS Pass Tonight

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 23:34:30 -0700 (MST)

>>  ...what looked like about a -16 magnitude. It is slightly overcast up here
>>  tonight, but, the flare nearly cast a shadow, even thru the light clouds.

     The quarter Moon is about -8 and the Full Moon (within say 12 hours
of Full phase) is about -13.  Magnitude -16 is equivalent to more
than 15 Full Moons in the sky at the same time.  Yet only "nearly cast
a shadow"?  Since it apparently did not cast a shadow, would the
estimate actually be more like -6 rather than -16 ?  (Yes, we'll grant
you a typo....)

\Brian