[AZ-Observing] Re: IC 1296

  • From: "Jack Jones" <Telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:25:52 -0700

Hi Brian,

No, a lot of DSC databasers don't even bother to tell us what their sources
are, much less what the passband was. They pay for the database and that's
about as far as they go, and they consider it absolute and why are we asking.
It's really all they can do. I'm sure if you took them to task on their "15.1
mag ", they would say well that's +/- 0.5! Megastar usually gives (p) since it
has to draw from huge databases. (I don't blame Emil, what else could he do
with all that.) Anyway I'm glad you pretty much agree on the mag and SB, even
after it's put thru the grinder. Now I know what a 'real' 15th mag GX looks
like!

Of course as an amateur, I'm interested in 'v' mostly and at the zenith
preferably. I don't care if I see another (p) magnitude, it's pretty much
archaic nowadays isn't it? 'Blue' film probs are gone. I like how how the NSOG
(Kepple & Sanner) handled mags by making them all 'v' (they asked and got a
lot of help from the amateur community). But I guess if everybody published
their own there would be chaos wouldn't there, and then I'd wish for the "raw"
(p) data back.

Jack