[AZ-Observing] Re: How many Asteroids?

  • From: gene lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:24:56 -0700

Hi Rick,

The IAU Minor Planets Center at Harvard U. is the main official source
of information on the ongoing asteroid (mnor planets) discovery
programs.  They maintain a daily-updated database of the latest
discoveries, as well as a number of other interesting lists, such as
numbered asteroids, named asteroids, asteroid discoverers, etc. and
various statistics.
IAU Minor Planets Center (MPC)
http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/mpc.html
IAU Minor Planets Names List
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/lists/MPNames.html
Numbered Minor Planets - Discovery circumstances list
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/lists/NumberedMPs.html

The three main modern research and discovery programs are LONEOS, at
Lowell Observatory, LINEAR in New Mexico, and CSS on Mt. Lemmon, near
Tucson.

You could review the materials on minor planets at Lowell Observatory.
Brian Skiff is the principal operator for the LONEOS automated survey
instrument at Anderson Mesa.
http://asteroid.lowell.edu/asteroid/loneos/loneos.html

Check on information from the NASA-USAF funded Lincoln Labs LINEAR
observatory (in New Mexico),
http://www.ll.mit.edu/mission/space/linear/

The Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) observatory is on Mt. Lemmon, operated by
the U. of AZ Lunar and Planetary Lab.
Well-known amateur-professional Rick Hill is the main observer at the CSS.
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/css/
It is rapidly becoming the leading discovery center for minor planets.

The main modern books on the subject are the three Asteroids Conference
proceedings, from the U. of AZ LPL, edited by Dr. Tom Gehrels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroids

Dr. Gehrels also participates in the Spacewatch program at Kitt Peak,
which operates two large telescopes equipped with CCD  cameras for
discoveries.
The Spacewatch Project
http://spacewatch.lpl.arizona.edu/

Older books that will give you some historical perspective include:
Earth, Moon, and Planets by Fred Whipple (1958)
The System of Minor Planets by Gunter D. Roth (1962)
And of course, older textbooks on astronomy such as Duncan and Stewart,
Hoyle, Shapley, etc.

Asteroid discoveries - history
http://www.geocities.com/zlipanov/asteroid_intro/asteroid_intro.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Asteroid_discoverers

The three top >amateur< discoverers of asteroids are all located in
Arizona....  (Dr. Paul Comba,  Bill Yeung, and Dr. Charles Juels).  Dr.
Paul Comba, in Prescott, has been at it the longest.  He might be
willing to discuss the history with you.

Too many asteroids being discovered? (2001 article)
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/asteroid_toomany_011019-1.html

Have fun!!
Gene Lucas (17250) my IAU asteroid number -- look me up!

There are two other members of SAC with numbered asteroids.... and one
deceased member... can you name them?
GL