[AZ-Observing] Fr. Coyne at ASC

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC AZ List" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 22:47:40 -0700

Big Event!
Contact Christine to volunteer at shuplac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jack

As some of you know, the Arizona Science Center is hosting a science center
conference this fall.  The keynote speaker is Vatican Observatory Director
George Coyne.

Each of you has been of great assistance to us in the past, particularly
with regards to astronomy events.  (btw, we're hoping to have another
astronomy weekend and would like as many organizations as possible to
participate, on the first weekend in May.  There should be a great
opportunity to have a free public observing session here that Sunday, with
Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, & Saturn all up in the West.)

Anyway, could you pass along the following information to any of your
friends and club members that you think might be interested in participating
in our conference?

We're looking for more volunteers to assist with the conference, which is
being held Oct. 5-9. We need several different positions filled --
* on-site registration (computer experience helpful),
* pre-registration (handing out packets to pre-registered delegates),
* general assistance,
* information center,
* staffing the job bank (job descriptions of open positions at various
museums, handling resumes),
* and session aides.

Volunteers will receive a t-shirt, snacks during their shift, and are
invited to attend the following:

Fathery Coyne's Keynote Address (Saturday, October 6, 1 p.m. -1:45 p.m.)
Exhibit Hall Welcoming Reception (Saturday, October 6, 5 p.m.- 6:30 p.m.)
Saturday Evening Dinner at the Science Center (Saturday, October 6, 7 p.m. -
11:00 p.m.)
Exhibit Hall Closing Reception (Sunday, October 7, 4:30 p.m. - 6:00
p.m.) and the
Closing Social Reception (Tuesday, October 9, 12:45 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.)

(If there's any other sessions that you might be interested in seeing, just
let me know & I'll see what I can do.)

In addition, we also need some volunteers to help stuff conference bags.
This particular duty takes place on Thursday, October 4.  Schedules for
other positions are below:

Friday, October 5        7:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.    (Civic Plaza)
                        11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.     (Civic Plaza)
                         3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.    (Civic Plaza)
12 volunteers each shift to assist with pre-registration check-in,
on-site registration, general assistance and information.

Saturday, October 6  6:45 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.    (Civic Plaza)
                    10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.     (Civic Plaza)
                     2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.    (Civic Plaza)
12 volunteers each shift to assist with pre-registration check-in,
on-site registration, general assistance and information.

Sunday, October 7    7:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.    (Civic Plaza)
                    10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.     (Civic Plaza)
                     2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.    (Civic Plaza)
12 volunteers each shift to assist with pre-registration check-in,
on-site registration, general assistance and information.

Monday, October 8    7:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (Civic Plaza)
12 volunteers to assist with pre-registration check-in, on-site
registration, general assistance and information.

Tuesday, October 9   7:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.  (Civic Plaza)
4 volunteers to assist with general assistance and information.

If you know anyone that would like to volunteer for any of the shifts, they
can contact me and I'll pass them along to the volunteer coordinators.
Sorry for the late notice; I was hoping to receive this info to send to you
awhile back.

Christine Shupla
Planetarium Director
Arizona Science Center