[AZ-Observing] Five Mile Meadow.

  • From: <Andrew.Goodwin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:01:45 -0700

   Having read the reports from the weekend up in the pines, I must
admit to envy. My 10" Orion Intelliscope is placing objects dead center
on every object I wish to see. I was going to leave on Friday afternoon
after I took my truck in for a small oil leak. I did not get it back
until late Monday afternoon. (the best laid plans of mice and men)
I spent the weekend in my back yard splitting double stars and any other
object that was bright enough to see from Avondale. I did find a place
for great prices on warm jackets shirts and pants and got a good steady
table as suggested by Steve. Now $2000 poorer (it was the rear motor
seal) and some other parts are still being shipped from Sacramento to
arrive on Wednesday, I can only say that it just was not meant to be. If
it isn't the weather or the moon or even the neighbor's patio lights,
fate will get you (or me) every time. I did try to get some meaningful
observations thru the heat waves coming off the roofs of the houses
around me while my wife applied more Benzedrine on my bites I received
at Flat Iron. I retreated to the lounge chair in the middle of the lawn
with binoculars and restricted my view to what ever was overhead. I fell
asleep being awakened by a cold nose and dog breath. Astronomy is a
hobby that requires money, patience and an understanding wife. While she
doesn't "get it" she will take a peak through the eyepiece and say
"that's nice" and tell me "maybe next time you will have dark, clear
skies"  Perhaps she does "get it" after all.

Till  "next time"

Clear Skies to us all.

Andrew Goodwin
Network Planning & Engineering