[AZ-Observing] Re: Fireball Anyone?

  • From: "SkyWatcher" <skywatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:16:42 -0700

Dan,

It was definitely a fireball not a bolide (no explosion or fragmentation at
the end of the siting).

We caught about 5 to 7 seconds of viewing.

The trail as it was coming down was at least a -4 or -5 (brighter than
Venus), the head was almost as bright as the moon (1 day past 1st quarter)
maybe -9 or -10.

The head was about 1/4 a full moon width.

It was pretty spectacular!!!

The group we were with had plenty of time for everyone to turn and see it.

I hope this helps.

Tony