[AZ-Observing] Re: Farewell to Andrew Cooper!

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:57:45 -0700

OK, you had to go and steal my thunder!  The grapevine around here is
quite impressive if the news has reached up your way already.  I was
composing an announcement to put on the group, but it was proving
difficult to come up with anything that didn't sound like I was rubbing
it in too hard.

Yes I will be leaving shortly for Waimea and a job on the mountain with
the interferometry team at Keck.  Working in the basement between the
two scopes.  The system is VERY complex and will take a fair bit of
learning.  Look in this month's issue of S&T for a good description of
the system, the Keck setup is quite similar to the CHARA setup in the
article, but currently only two dimensional.  But the OHANA system is
coming and I hope to work on it.

Aperture fever?  How about 10m?  83m if both scopes are used in
interferometry mode.  Most of the time I will be day shift, but there
will be occasional nighttime engineering runs.  Long days on the
mountain, typically 10-12 hours from catching the shuttle in the morning
to getting back down, but it is a four on/three off week to compensate.
The pay is decent, but I will be living poorer with the cost of living
over there.  Looking forward to it, but a great deal of work to be done
over the next few weeks to have everything ready to go.  I am looking
forward to one last Arizona observing session come the next new Moon!!

The website will remain, but I may have to find someone else to cover
the SE Arizona observing sites section as I will be unable to check the
information and keep it current.  My e-mail will also continue as the
pobox address has nothing to do with my actual ISP which will change.  I
am going to miss all of you guys and the big star parties, in particular
Messier Marathon!

Andrew

Jack Jones wrote:
> Congratulations to Andrew Cooper and wife Debbie. He has accepted a 'job' at
> Keck Observatory on the Big Island and they will be moving to Hawaii. We will
> miss you! Keep in touch, we will visit your website often to see how things
> are going at 13,000 ft!
>
> Jack Jones
> Public Events Coordinator
> Saguaro Astronomy Club