[AZ-Observing] Re: Double Triangle in Corvus, AKA Ndt Nannies Are Not NIce

  • From: gene lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 02:26:42 -0700

Re-posting due to Net Nanny issues, Nah-Nah!!
GL
Re:  The Stargate in Corvus
I have the Phil Harrington article from May 1998 S&T scanned.  I sent
this to Steve Coe when he and I compiled the SAC 110 Asterisms List this
past winter.  "The Stargate" is also known as STAR 20, for Small
Telescopes Asterisms Roster, object no. 20.  Also known as "Harrington
objects" from his magazine articles and the list in his book, "Touring
the Universe Through Binoculars."  Harrington states, "Several observers
independently told me of this grouping, including....." and he goes on
to mention several alternate names by different observers.  It is not
clear who was the first to note it, or where the "Stargate" moikier
originated .
Charles Kessler and Mark Deprest (in Michigan) have web pages describing
their initial efforts in attempting to observe, sketch, and photograph
all 29 objects in the Harrington STAR list.  (A project evidently not
completely since several years ago....):
http://www.ssoastro.org/STAR_List.htm
These objects are all included in the SAC list of 110 asterisms, which
includes objects as large as whole constellations (like the Big Dipper),
down to these small telescopic fields.  The SAC list is, of course, on
the SAC web pages....
We got a peek at the Stargate (my personal preference for the name) at
Steve Dodder's recent pow-wow at StoneHaven, through his 10 inch
Trekerscope.  But I arrived at the eyepiece after somebody else located
it.... The 10 inch showed a neat double triange-within-a-triangle.
Quite unique in the sky, I think....  (No spacecraft few in or out while
I watched....) M104, the Sombrero galaxy  is nearby, along with another
small asterism, "Jaws", about 1 degree NE.

Gene Lucas
(17250)