[AZ-Observing] Re: Daylight sighting of Venus

  • From: Steven Dodder <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Az Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 01:10:36 +0000

IMHO, using a computer to point a telescope to find Venus in daylight is
cheating.  Finding the RA/Dec, or Alt/Az is more like it.  Finding it in
binoculars first is a great way to do it.  Some people, (Derald Nye), seem to
have an innate ability, and I often invoke them to find it myself. even when
(manual) setting circles fail me.
  My vision is insufficent, (so far) to detect Venus in daylight, but I've
managed to find all naked-eye planets through a finder scope and main optics of
my C8 in broad daylight-noon or so-from various observing sites.

Steve Dodder
Director, Stone , and I often invoke them to find it myself.Haven Observatory
President, Saguaro Astronomy Club
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman