[AZ-Observing] Re: Daylight sighting of Venus

  • From: Steve D. <fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:54:11 -0700

I intend my comment tongue-in-cheek, of course.  Any way you can find a planet
in daylight is great!  Showing one to someone else is even better!

Steve DodderChairman, SAC Novice GroupCoordinator, Grand Canyon Star Party,
North RimDirector, Stone Haven Observatory fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman> -----Original Message-----> From:
az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [mailto:az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Steven Dodder> Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 6:11 PM> To: Az
Observing> Subject: [AZ-Observing] Re: Daylight sighting of Venus> > IMHO,
using a computer to point a telescope to find Venus in daylight is> cheating.
Finding the RA/Dec, or Alt/Az is more like it. Finding it in> binoculars first
is a great way to do it. Some people, (Derald Nye),> seem to have an innate
ability, and I often invoke them to find it> myself. even when (manual) setting
circles fail me.> My vision is insufficent, (so far) to detect Venus in
daylight, but> I've managed to find all naked-eye planets through a finder
scope and> main optics of my C8 in broad daylight-noon or so-from various
observing> sites.> >