[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet C/2002 Q4 (NEAT) Observation and Images

  • From: Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 22:49:57 -0700 (PDT)

I observed NEAT tonight (Thursday) from a site on the Gila River Indian
Reservation (several miles east of the Sierra Estrella), with an unobstructed
view to the southwest.  First picked up the comet in 10x50 binoculars at 8:03
p.m.; by 8:30 the sky was quite dark and the comet easily visible naked-eye.
Large coma and short fan-shaped tail through the binoculars.

Tom, your first shot is beautiful, really captures the scene well.  I also took
a few pictures, but I'm using a primitive technology known as "film," so I
can't share the results yet.  I took one shot with a 200mm telephoto lens (like
Tom did with his third image), but I used a tracking mount so hopefully it will
come out better!

--Joe Orman

Tom Polakis  wrote:

The Estrella Mountains provided a nice foreground for some camera-and-tripod
images,

The third image may be the [most] pointless image I have put up on my pBase
account to date.