[AZ-Observing] Re: News 12

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 22:37:57

Thanks for the heads-up, Rick.  I haven't watched local news in many moons,
and I have to say that sitting through hard-hitting stories about people
watching the "Friends" finale in a bar and how to best deal with your boss
set me up for what Sean had to say about my picture.

He said that the photo was courtesy of Lowell Observatory, who provided
them the link to the photo (Brian?).  Then he pointed to Sirius, and said
it was Venus.  Then he said something about NEAT being an amateur astronomy
program.  Then he said the comet had to be watched for a year to become an
official celestial body, and looked sheepishly off camera.  They ran a
graphic that showed the comet passing near Venus in coming days, which it
misses by 40 degrees.  I guess they tried, at least.

Tom

At 09:30 PM 5/6/2004 EDT, you wrote:
>While watching the news about 5 minutes ago, Sean McGlaughlin came on to
>announce a "Very speacial event in the Sky". He showed a Tom Polakis
Original