[AZ-Observing] Clear Sky / 2001 A2 Linear

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 20:02:48 -0700

I was going out regardless of weather, but then I was commited to
provide a telescope for a UofA function atop Kitt Peak saturday night.
It was great!  Despite National Waether Service predictions that the
Quinlan and Baboquivari Mts would be the most likely place for
thunderstoms in SE AZ to form there were only thin clouds at sunset.
These parted and left us wonderfully clear skies. High, thin clouds
drifted through a few times but there was always clear sky available for
the star deprived.

Took a look at 2001 A2 Linear late in the evening near zenith.
Definitely fading fast, a faint but distinct object in the 10" at 70x.
A bit of a fan shaped smear to one side. At least mag 9 if not fainter.

I see the forecast for the end of the week is for a siesta in the
monsoons for a while, maybe I'll take a day off towards the end of the
week before moonset is much later.

Andrew

--

Andrew Cooper