[AZ-Observing] Photos of This Morning's Conjunction

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:47:20 -0700

There was a good conjunction of Venus and the Moon this morning.  This
allowed me to test out my new digital camera (a Nikon 995) for twilight
shooting.  It just about lived up to my expectations: okay for exposures of
2 seconds or less and Web presentation, but consumer digital cameras still
have a way to go to catch up to 35mm slide film.

The images may be viewed at
http://www.psiaz.com/polakis/conj0801/conj0801.html.

They were taken along the road to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix.
As the off-trail areas are being revegetated, the selection of saguaros was
somewhat limited.  Jupiter appears above and the to right of Jupiter in
some frames.  Castor and Pollux are to the left.  In the second image,
Procyon is rising at lower right, which means Winter must be right around
the corner.

Tom (not quite ready to throw away the 1970's model Canon FTb just yet)

---

Tom Polakis
Tempe, AZ
Arizona Sky Pages