[AZ-Observing] Re: Chiricahua National Monument

  • From: Torsten Clay <tclay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:22:35 -0700 (MST)

I like to go to a spot in the national forest to the south of the
Monument... was last there for the Leonids. It is just off of one of the
fs roads past Onion saddle. About 15 miles drive from the forest entrance
next to the Monument gate, and at 8,333 ft.

advantages: no headlights, no fees, no problem camping, spectacular view
            day+night

disadvantages: 15 miles on dirt roads, no facilities, must tote equipment
           by hand up the last couple hundred feet to get in the clear.

Let me know if you are interested, and I can look up the coordinates on
the map.

Torsten

> Which is better for setting up at, Massai Pt. or the Echo Canyon
> parking lot?  Also, I know you are not suppose to camp at either of these
> spots but do the rangers really come by to tell you to
> move all your equipment during the day?  Are they really that strict about
> leaving your scope set up?  I'd be camping in the back of my truck so no
> tent is required.

---
with the subject: unsubscribe.

messages.  Thanks.