[AZ-Observing] Re: Chiricahua National Monument

  • From: "Kevin Bays" <bayskevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:03:01 -0700

Chris,

I've observed a few times in the national monument.  I like it a lot, in
fact it may be my favorite spot.  My preferred set up location is the Echo
Canyon parking lot.  I believe there are fewer obstructions from trees or
mountains at this spot vs. Massai Pt., even though the latter is about 100
feet higher.  There may also be slightly less likelihood of somebody
blasting you with headlights at Echo Canyon, since it's not at the end of
the main road up the mountain as is Massai Pt. (People seem pretty scarce at
either location).

I've not encountered any rangers telling me to move.  I've spent all night
at Echo, although I have to admit I don't sleep.  I stay busy at the scope.
I tend to sleep during the day while sojouring to the Chiricahuas for
astronomical pursuits, and don't sleep at that location.

I can't comment about leaving the scope set up during the day, since I have
only set up at night.  I can't see why the authorities would mind.

Hope to see you under starry skies.