[AZ-Observing] Re: Beautiful Universe

  • From: "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:22:10 -0700

Stan et. al.

This discussion reminds me of a passage from the Feynman Lectures on
Physics.  Feynman talks about what constitutes "beauty" for a scientist, and
notes that virtually everyone agrees that a rainbow is beautiful.  Then he
goes on to speculate whether a similar structure in a band of the EM
spectrum that we CAN'T see, for example, a "microwave rainbow," would also
be considered beautiful.  Appropriate detectors would show the peaks
corresponding to its existence, and we could infer that this invisible
structure exists in the sky, but he wonders if anyone besides a scientist
would see beauty there.

Just my 2 cents ... as long as we're all waxing philosophical ...

Dan Heim