[AZ-Observing] Re: Beautiful Universe

  • From: Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:06:58 -0800 (PST)

I know this thread is a year old, but recall that Stan wrote "As we get to a
larger scale some of the astronomical objects we see we perceive as being
beautiful, but again it is only in the eyes of the beholder ... Yes, we like to
think the Universe is beautiful, but this is strictly a human perspective.  In
reality it is a mess and not that beautiful at all."  I just came across the
following 400-year-old words and was struck by how they mirror the online
conversation; human nature never changes:

"There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so."

"I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth, forgone all
custom of exercises; and indeed it goes heavily with my disposition that this
goodly frame the earth seems to me a sterile promontory, this most excellent
canopy the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical
roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appeareth nothing to me but a foul and
pestilent congregation of vapours."

     -- both from Act 2, Scene 2 of Hamlet by William Shakespeare

--Joe Orman