[AZ-Observing] Re: BOLIDE! (photo!)

  • From: Wil Milan <wmilan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:53:38 -0700

All,

I've posted a photo of the huge green bolide that was seen to the north all
over Arizona Sunday morning. See

http://www.astrophotographer.com/Leonids_2001.html

and scroll down.

This was originally a color photo, but I've scanned it as a black and white
to show more of the surrounding detail, including the star trails that show
the exact location and angle of the fireball trail. Note that in this photo
the horizon is tilted, as shown by the thin luminous line that indicates
horizon clouds in the background. In the original photo the clouds under
the bolide trail are all tinted the same metallic green as the bolide
itself, and some blue is visible in the bolide trail, not just green.

This was apparently the re-entry of a rather large object; if anyone has
further info or observations on it I'd be very interested and will be glad
to share whatever info I am able to gather about it.

Wil Milan
http://www.astrophotographer.com/
"The heavens declare the glory of God
And the firmament proclaims His handiwork."
   -- Psalm 19:1

---
with the subject: unsubscribe.

messages.  Thanks.