[AZ-Observing] Re: BOLIDE! (photo!)

  • From: Wil Milan <wmilan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:05:03 -0700

At 05:49 PM 11/21/2001, you wrote:

>What is the 'contemporary' definition of a bolide?  The definition I
>have is:
>"A fireball accompanied by one or more audible explosions, often
>associated with meteorite falls...Many shock waves may be set up if
>considerable fragmentation occurs, causing a rumbling noise which
>follows the first major fragmentation"
>
>This definition does not say anything about color.  So far no one has
>said they heard an explosion (or did I just miss it? - someone said they
>heard some sputtering).  Is this object really a bolide?  Is one or more
>explosions assumed to exist even when not heard if it looks and feels
>like a bolide to experienced observers?  Since it was near polaris, my
>guess is that it was somewhere between 30-90 miles from the observer (in
>a straight line), and so maybe it would not be possible to hear an
>explosion.

The photo shows what look like a number of outbursts or explosions along
the burn path, and I presume if one were close enough one would have heard
the explosions.

Wil Milan
http://www.astrophotographer.com/
"The heavens declare the glory of God
And the firmament proclaims His handiwork."
   -- Psalm 19:1

---
with the subject: unsubscribe.

messages.  Thanks.