[AZ-Observing] Astronomy Survey

  • From: "Chuck" <astrogeoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:41:20 -0700

I have been asked to do a survey for a group of science and astronomy teachers
in secondary and lower grades locally for use in their classrooms.  If you are
willing to participate please review and respond off list with a brief answer
representing your own interpretation to each of the questions below.
If not interested then merely delete.  Thanks!

INTRO: Light is a common aspect of our daily lives. During the daytime, the sun
provides light. We can also use lamps and other light sources for additional
lighting. At some point in your life, you may have asked the following question
"What is light?" We are interested in your current fundamental answer to this
question.

QUESTION 1: What is it about light that makes it different colors (that is,
what makes blue light blue and red light red)?

QUESTION 2: Consider the following three examples of light: light from the sun,
light from the lamps overhead, light from your hand right now

2a. How do you think these examples of light are the same?
2b. How do you think these examples of light are different?

QUESTION 3: You may have heard of light that is "invisible." Examples of this
are infrared light and ultraviolet light. What about light makes it
"invisible"? (Try to encourage an answer that is detailed and more than
'because we can't see it')

QUESTION 4: Do you think infrared light is really light, even though you can't
see it? Explain your answer; if you think it is something other than light,
what is it?

QUESTION 5: Stars are very far away and yet we can see them in the night sky.
Describe how starlight travels through space.

QUESTION 6: Which travels faster, a radio wave or a light wave? Explain how you
know the answer to this question.

Please respond privately to astrogeoc@xxxxxxxx

Thanks to those who took the time from your busy schedules.

Chuck Crawford
Earth/Space Scientific Research Institute, inc.