[AZ-Observing] Re: Astronomy Day at the Arizona Science Center

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 23:33:43 -0700

Steve and Jack;

Thanks for the reports on Astronomy Day activities.....I agree that a great
public viewing session does seem to get you back in touch with why we love
to view the sky.   We had a fun group show up for the viewing evening at
Thunderbird Park, some of them my students and even my barber!  Always a joy
to show folks the rings of Saturn for the first time.

We do need to provide some input about the phase of the Moon versus these
activities.  If the folks who are setting up these evenings will understand
that the presence of a first quarter Moon really helps, it would make a
difference for all the right reasons.  More people with scopes, more to show
them.  I know that Christine Schupla is one person, but is there a central
clearing house for Astronomy Day activities?

Just a thought;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org