[AZ-Observing] Re: AZ-Observing] Very Bright Bolide Tonight at 19: 34 Hrs.

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, haclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 07:21:34 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 I missed both bolides, but admired the beautiful
Venus/crescent Moon conjunction earlier this evening. Should be nearly as nice
tomorrow, too. Later I cruised around the Fornax Galaxy Cluster area seeing the
nice supernova in NGC 1404 and then went over to the faint, but nice galaxy
clusters near the Andromeda/Pisces border until around 11pm.  I then decided to
take a look at Jupiter, which never fails to surprise me. Tonight there was a
nice compact triangular configuration of its moons located near a slightly
fainter field star which was in line with them the other night. Then I noticed
there was a bright dot right on the edge of Jupiter, which I think was the
inner moon Io just beginning to make a transit across the face of Jove. As I
watched the apparition progress I noticed that the moon was superimposed on the
edge of the Great Red Spot. If it is Io, it and the GRS should keep pace with
each other and travel across the face of Jupiter for the next few hours making
for a nice photo-op. I was also out late last night and observed the Virgo
Cluster for about an hour before tiredness and the cold forced me inside. I
took a look at the supernova in M101, which is still hanging around magn 13. I
had a very nice view of M51 trying to see its latest SN, but it was too faint
for me to see with certainty. The past few nights have been pretty good and
tonight seems to be the darkest of the nights.
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)