[AZ-Observing] A night of DSO Challenges...

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TAAA Forum <taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 05:51:36 -0700

Another night spent running visually with my 18" Deep Violet, the
program was to observe a wide array of miscellaneous objects I had
entered into my observing database over the last year but had not yet
observed.  This includes a lot of odd globulars, open clusters, dark
nebulae and other odds and ends.

A beautiful and cloud free night in SE New Mexico, conditions were
fairly good, with good transparency but medium seeing as the temperature
fluctuated through the night.  A very pleasant night spent under a very
dark sky, with some frustration as I tried to locate some more
challenging objects...

Dolidze 27 - Large, loose, a poor cluster of about a dozen stars in a
distinct grouping, but still a poor object

Palomar 14 - Located the star pattern matching the DSS image, nothing
can be seen, conditions decent tonight, but just can not see it

IC4846 - Tough to locate, stellar at medium and high power, only located
by matching DSS star pattern, stellar with no visible shell or nebula

NGC6231 - Brilliant cluster near the bottom of Scorpio, naked eye
object, rich, bright, dominated by a handful of 6th magnitude stars,
well over a hundred members scattered in a 15' area

Trumpler 24 - Large, rich, a naked eye object visible as a glow above
NGC6231, fills the field at 60x (>1degree) the whole complex gives the
impression of a comet low on the horizon below Scorpio with NGC6231 as
the coma and Trumpler 24 the tail

Markarian 38 - A very small 2' triangle of stars dominated by one bright
7 mag. star, a faint glow of unresolved stars or nebula fills the triangle

NGC6760 Small, unresolved, a circular hazy patch about 8' in diameter
with stars just beginning to resolve with averted vision

NGC6749 = Berkeley 42 - Dim!! a very faint patch of unresolved haze
about 5' in diameter, it was necessary to match up the star pattern with
the chart to find it at all, averted vision and rocking the scope help

Berkeley 43 - Very faint, an unresolved hazy patch 5' in diameter, it
was necessary to match up the starfield with the DSS before object could
be located

Not all of the objects I looked for tonight were as challenging as some
of these, I looked at a bunch of old favorites as well.  Last object of
the night was 73P/S-W, still sporting a small tail as it begins to
compete with the first light of dawn.

Andrew

Andrew Cooper