[AZ-Observing] A lovly night for photometry (NOT)

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:26:39 -0700

I have been doing photometry on VV Cep for the last few months trying
to catch the secondary eclipse of this binary system. The best place
to do photometry is where the star is close to the meridian. I just
came back in from trying as VV Cep is approaching the meridian. It
seems someone has decided to hire a light show just north of me on
Camelback. Four multimillion candlepower lights are now randomly
sweeping back and forth across the sky exactly where VV Cep lies. It
totally baffles me why there is concern about green laser pointers
when something like this is allowed.

Does anyone know how we can get these light shows banned? It just
makes me sick as it is a beautiful night. These lights cover the
whole northern hemisphere from my location.

Here's hoping they burn out!

Jeff
--
Jeff Hopkins