[AZ-Observing] Re: A NEAT Sunset Comet

  • From: PHXJeff@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, macdirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:35:55 EST

>Has anybody else been following this guy?  How much longer should we be able
>to see it?  I bet it'd look nice in a dark sky.

I took some shots of it last night. It appears greenish, low to the west.
While I could see it in binoculars (8X40) it looked star like. It was
fairly bright with a wispy tail in my C-8 and 13.1" dob. I tried taking
some pictures. In my Nikon Coolpix 800 (ASA 400 8 sec with 26 mm
eyepiece) it appears bright greenish, but no tail showing. I tool some
B&W 35 mm pictures at Cassigrain focus and plan some color 35 mm tonight.
Since it's a race between getting lower in the west and longer days, I
think the next couple of night will be about it unless you can look very
low on the horizon.

BTW, the main problem with the Coolpix is the max time exposure is 8
seconds, but it is very sensitive and does show a bright greenish comet
head.

Jeff

                          Jeff Hopkins
                            HPO SOFT
    Phoenix, Arizona                      Atlanta, Georgia
  7812 West Clayton Drive               12170 Boxwood Circle
Phoenix, AZ 85033-2439 U.S.A.        Alpharetta, GA 30005 U.S.A.
   (623) 849-5889 (Fax)               (770) 619-3322 (Phone/Fax)

www.hposoft.com & amug.org/~hposoft    dataman.home.mindspring.com
                        4th Dimension Partner
                        FileMaker Pro Expert

   BASIC/C++ Programmer & Web Site/e-commerce Site Development
Over 25 years of Computer, Programming and Database Development Experience