[AZ-Observing] Re: A NEAT Sunset Comet

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:16:55 -0700

> Has anybody else been following this guy?  How much longer should we be
able
> to see it?  I bet it'd look nice in a dark sky.

Hey All,

I rolled of the obs. roof and took a peek last nite.  It is bright, I noted
at above 6th mag, and noticed a fairly greenish hue to it.  The tail was
notable about 3/4 the FOV (35mm Panoptic, 8"f/6 newt.) with averted, roughly
1 degree.  (I'm in Avondale, and was not dark adapted.)  A nice feature is
the kind of "rocket flame" coming back from the nucleus into the tail,
subtle, but notable enough to include in my sketch.  No real detail in the
tail was seen.

Catch it now, it's pretty NEAT....(Boo, hiss, yeah, I know.....)

PS, How does one estimate a comet's magnitude?  The nucleus?  Same as
estimating a galaxy?

Thad