[AZ-Observing] Re: A Comet Lulin Observation

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 06:48:15 -0700

Hi Dean,

Thank you for posting your image. Maybe if you have some time you would be
so kind as to send me a copy of the image without the text so I can compare
the star field to my 14 Jan visual observation (jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx). On that
morning, I was using a "Sky Window" binocular mount with 9x60's. Lulin
appeared almost like a elongated galaxy which I feel was an illusion due to
the fact it was sitting quite close to 8.8 mag SAO 159509 and was elongated
in that direction without me being able to detect a separation between the
comet and the star. I was out a few moments ago with hopes of catching Lulin
approaching the 7.5 mag SAO 159480 (which is clearly seen in your image) but
as most probably discovered if they went out, the sky was obscured. (from
Phoenix anyway). For those keeping track, Lulin should pass within about 30
arc min. of Zuben Elgenubi (Don't you love those ancient names!) (Alpha 2
Lib) on 6 Feb 09. 4:00 to 5:30 seems to be a good time for observing this
one.

Jimmy Ray

(So Prof., do I get an "A" on my report ;-)